Managing Chapter Events
PMI Portland Chapter sponsors many events, such as Chapter meetings, workshops, classes, conferences, volunteer and networking events, etc. There are a lot of moving pieces to making these events work, and the events involve people/groups from across the entire Chapter.
The purpose of this web page is to provide complete information for the event coordinator and all Chapter staff, so that:
- You have the resources you need for event setup and marketing.
- Your event can appear on the website and in the web calendars.
- People can pay/register for the event.
- Your event can be advertised via email, social media, flyers, newsletter, etc.
- Our sponsors can receive the advertising for which they have paid.
- Volunteers can look up and export payment/registration information.
- You can manage registration issues.
- All volunteers can understand the Event Setup and Marketing processes and tools in place at this time.
Plan Ahead! Marketing for events should begin 90 days before the event date.
We assume that you have already secured your presenter and venue, etc.
Get up to speed
- Familiarize yourself with the Chapter website, calendars, registration system, email and social media marketing.
- Familiarize yourself with the "Who to Contact" list.
- Review the Event Management Process Flow Chart.
- Please read this entire web page before you begin.
Events sponsored by PMI organizations may be covered under the general liability policy. An Events Checklist must be completed and submitted to the PMI Global Operations Center for approval at least thirty (30) days prior to the event so as to determine if the activity is covered. If additional coverage is required the chapter will be notified and presented with the applicable options to ensure that the event is properly insured. If an event venue requires a certificate of insurance, complete the PMI Global Event Checklist. Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org and she will generate the certificate of insurance (allow 7-10 days), also copy the Chapter Secretary.
The secretary will apply to PMI GOC for PDUs and will assign a course number to be used by the students when reporting the PDUs. Please allow two weeks for the PDU process. Fill out the PDU Request Form. The Portfolio VP will be required to approve the code request, so be sure to inform and engage with the VP throughout the PDU process. The Chapter Secretary will apply to PMI GOC for PDUs and will assign a course number to be used by the registrants when reporting the PDUs.
2. Event Setup on the Website
Please complete the following two steps: A) provide event/speaker information and B) request a registration/payment form. Check your email frequently - you may be contacted for additional questions and will be asked to approve before these go live. Event Management Process Flow Chart
Allow 3-5 days after A and B are complete for event setup.
A. Provide Event/Speaker Information
The information collected here will be used to create the event web page as well as for other marketing activity. Please provide final, verified, complete information so that we can adequately market your event.
CLICK HERE to provide event/speaker information.
- If necessary, review the form submitted the last time this event occurred.
- Provide any other materials that may be used to help market the event (flyers, URLs, brochures, etc.). (optional)
- Provide a headshot for the speaker and any additional graphical elements. See Graphics Requirements below.
- Email all of the above to both VP of Marketing and Webmaster.
- Save this form and store it centrally per your Portfolio standards.
- If you need to make changes, update this form and resend to all concerned.
Graphics such as company logos and speaker photos can be used on web pages, eblasts, flyers, banners and social media.
- Always send graphics as separate attachments. Do not paste the graphic into Word documents or email.
- Send graphics in .jpg, .png, gif, or .pdf format only.
- Minimum resolution 300 dpi.
- Slideshow image for the home page must be 800 px wide x 400 px high. See Slideshow information below. Contact VP of Marketing.
Need Chapter Logos? Contact VP of Marketing.
Need Graphics? Contact VP of Marketing to have graphics created OR to have graphics you have created approved prior to use.
B. Request Registration/Payment Form/Calendar Creation
The Web team will create an online form for your attendees to use to register/pay for your event. This form accepts credit/debit cards and we use PayPal to process these payments (no PayPal account is required for the registrant).
Calendars: For paid events, creating this form ALSO creates the web calendar entry. If you want something to appear on our web calendar, we use the same application even if no one registers or pays (eg. roundtables, toastmaster, oregon food bank, etc). Please fill out the form below as well.
Keep this info handy when filling out the form to help calculate pricing:
- Our system allows different pricing for these groups: Non-members, Chapter Members, Chapter Student Members, Board and Directors. You must provide a price for each group (can be same or different). This is considered Regular pricing.
- There are only 3 registration periods - regular (above), earlybird, and late. We can apply one $discount during the earlybird pricing period and/or one $late fee during the late pricing period. Both are optional.
- The discount/late fees apply across the board to every group and cannot be different for different groups.
(Optional) You may use this Pricing Worksheet to help you decide on pricing before using the online form.
- Be sure to save the email confirmation you receive for future reference for your team and your successors.
- If you need to make changes, please update the Google form and resend to all concerned. There is a link in the email confirmation allowing you to edit.
If this is a free, internal to PMI Portland Chapter, event, such as a party for volunteers, please consider using a Google Calendar invitation instead of having us create a registration form. Why? 1) you don't need our system to take credit card payment information and 2) you are inviting specific people, not opening an event to the public. If you do this, it will not appear on our web calendar, though.
Request Discount Codes
Creating a registration/payment form also causes your event to appear on the web calendar and under the Upcoming Events section of the web site. If the event does NOT require registration on our site (no registration at all or registration is handled by third-party), fill out this form to get it on the calendar. This will provide us the information we need in order to make the event appear on our calendars.
C. Registration is Open!
When the web page and registration form are approved and LIVE, we consider the event to be "Open". See 3. Standard Marketing for what happens next.
3. Standard Marketing
Marketing activity will begin automatically once your event is "Open", based on the information provided above in Step 2. Please read the following information, and contact VP of Marketing with questions.
- Shortly after the event is open for registration, a single topic email will be sent out to our entire DB (5000+). The content will be the same as the web page. If this event should not be publicized to the entire DB (eg. to members only instead) notify Dir. of Distribution and Asst. Dir. of Communication before event is Open.
- Every Friday we send an email with one or two sentences about most upcoming events, especially near registration deadlines.
- If you want additional email marketing outside of this schedule, please contact VP of Marketing. See Escalation below.
The Chapter has an active presence on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. Event Marketing Schedule:
- Event may be announced before pricing is confirmed by Web Team.
- After event is open for registration:
- 61-90 days out - Once a month announcement
- 31-60 days out - Every 2 weeks announcement
- 1-30 days out - Every week announcement
Contact VP of Marketing and Dir. of Distribution.
Monthly Chapter Newsletter
A newsletter is emailed to everyone in our DB one week before each Chapter meeting. Please see this example. Every upcoming event will appear in the newsletter, with a link to the existing event webpage. If you want to provide another article of some sort, send the content to the Dir. of Content Marketing by published deadlines.
At Chapter Meetings
- Flyers can be distributed at the monthly Chapter Meetings. Contact VP of Marketing, who will engage a designer to create the flyers. Marketing will work with Programs to have the flyers distributed during the Chapter meetings.
- All upcoming events are displayed on the Chapter Meeting PowerPoint presentation each month. Contact the Dir. of Program Support for questions.
Web Home Page Slideshow (opt)
On the Chapter website home page is a rotating ad space (or slideshow) where we occasionally add images to promote certain events. The image must be 800 px wide by 400 px high, at least 300 dpi. If you are interested in using this space, contact VP of Marketing. See also Graphics Information, above.
If you require additional or different event marketing, contact VP of Marketing.
4. During the Registration Period
Registration Issues, Refunds, Cancellations
The Event Coordinator must respond to issues and questions regarding registration. Therefore, it is very important that you understand this information so that you are prepared, and so that we treat all event registrants fairly and consistently across the Chapter.
Managing Event Changes
It is the responsibility of the Event Coordinator to monitor registration and take any needed action based on registration numbers. For example:
Directors and Board members all have access to Event Management in order to:
- Look up a single person's registration
- Resend a registrant's confirmation email
- Manage an event Waiting List
- Mark attendance
- Export the roster for an entire event
Log in > Board menu > Registration Management Apps
We can create Coupon Codes to be used during registration. This code will allow someone to register at a % or $ discount from the established pricing, or for free. These can be used as gifts, or to give a discount to an organization, or to allow certain volunteers a reduced price, etc.
- Click here to request a Coupon Code.
- Be sure to save the email confirmation you receive in case you want to edit the form, and for future reference for your team and your successors.
Sold out Events
If your event sells out early, the following will happen:
- (If Waiting List is enabled) The Register Now button will still appear on the web page, but users will see a message saying the event is sold out, do they want to get on the Waiting List? when they go to register. See Registration Management documentation above.
- (If Waiting List in NOT enabled, eg. group registrations). The Register Now button will disappear from the web page when the event is sold out, but the event will continue to appear on calendars, etc.
- Keep us informed.
If an event must be cancelled for any reason, please do the following:
1. Notify Webmaster, VP of Finance, VP of Marketing and any other affected people. Provide the following info:
- The registration form will be immediately closed - Do you want the web PAGE shut down or just add info about the cancellation?
- If adding text to the web page, send exact content - dates, refunds or anything else.
- If info is to go out in social media/eblasts, send exact content and other instructions.
- VP of Finance will issue refunds - provide refund info (assume full refund?).
2. Update the 2 setup forms (Form A and Form B) for future reference.
Keep us informed!
It is the event coordinator’s responsibility to keep the entire team informed if changes need to be made. One change probably affects multiple people who are supporting your event. For example, changing the date for registration to close, need for more marketing (or less), pricing changes, speaker bio updates, special offers, etc. If the event sells out early you may want to put "sold out" on the web page, etc. Update the 2 setup forms (Form A and Form B) for future reference. See Who to Contact, below.
5. After the Event
- Be sure to Mark Attendance (see Attendee Information above).
- Your event web page will be archived the day after your event is over.
- Your event registration form will be archived about 1 month after the event is over. If this has been archived and you can't get to your records: The web team will export your roster and save it to this Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3rA_3swfPVyV1RBa0dPb2tPNjQ
6. Who to Contact
This is a "living document" - please send edits/questions/additions to email@example.com.