Every organization has the foresight to want their projects succeed … despite the clamoring for insufficient resources and time. Project managers often respond by trying to do too much with a near-empty project management tool kit! This introductory workshop utilizes current tools/techniques and best practices for every PMI’s Knowledge Area in managing projects, aligning them with strategic direction and making the best use of limited resources and situations.
Using real-world examples and learning a basic tool kit and techniques, participants will learn how to develop and enhance the contributions they make to the organization and their overall project management career by:
(1) Understanding what it takes to successfully manage a project all the way from project initiation through focusing on PMI’s Knowledge Areas skill areas.
(2) Developing toolkit’s skills necessary to advise, execute and lay the necessary foundation for overall project success… regardless of what phase the project may currently be in or what the limitations of what a formal job description may be.
- VIA numerous professionally designed project management tools and templates, in both hard copy and electronic formats
(3) Becoming competent in the use of essential tools and techniques from the project management disciplines that are necessary to orchestrate and achieve total project success.
- For example: Understanding the unique needs and challenges for each stakeholder group, how these needs vary from phase to phase and what tools and techniques are most appropriate for any given time or challenge.
(4) Participating in interactive practice sessions that reflect the project management challenges typically found in a variety of industries.
(5) Meeting, networking and building professional relationships with others in the class as we regularly mix it up in a fun and supportive environment.
Please note that this is an introductory-level class. Participants may benefit even more by having a working understanding of how project management is practiced in various environments.
• SG Part II
o Jan has not only the wealth of experience & knowledge of the subject matter; but she is also an exceptional; facilitator & coach. Due to her practical approach to learning, I have been able to learn the subject well enough to start implementing immediately.
• PME Final Evaluations
o Jan was very friendly & upbeat & demonstrated her considerable experienced-based knowledge of subject matter
o Presentation was very effective & thorough; Real-world examples and group interaction kept the tension at a high level
o Very helpful to my current and upcoming projects
o I feel smarter than when I arrived and can put what I learned into my work
o Huge gain for me as I just became a project manager
o Showed importance that everyone involved in a project must understand the advantages of project management tools / techniques and be able to monitor the project for it to succeed.
o Clarity of explanation, organization, pace of presentation, encouraging interaction, knowledge of subject and ability to hold attention – excellent on all counts
o Provided useful tools to help me manage projects
General Project Management Experience:
Additionally Mahar Sturdevant taught project management at the Rady School of Business, University of California, San Diego as well as at Portland State University’s PhD program in Engineering Technology Management.
Research / Project Management Consulting
Initially at Penn State, as the Assistant Director of Business & Career Solutions, Mahar Sturdevant was responsible for providing strategic leadership and business planning, as well as representing IST during client visits. She re-engineered many processes to improve student placement resulting in IST having one of the highest placement rates at the University. Currently she continues to develop partnerships with business, government, and other related educational institutions.
Portland World Trade Center
25 SW Salmon
Portland, OR, 97204
Check upcoming presenters on the Our Speakers web page.
|Event Date||11-09-2018 8:30 am|
|Event End Date||11-09-2018 5:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||09-24-2018|
|Cut off date||11-09-2018 11:55 pm|
|Location||World Trade Center Portland|
We wish to thank each of the Chapter sponsors for their continued support of the organization and their recognition of the importance of project management in the Portland area. To learn how your organization can become a Chapter sponsor, please visit Become a Sponsor