***Nomination Deadline is 4/20/2021***
Calling All Leaders!
Accepting Nominations for PMI Portland Chapter Board of Directors
Take the next step in your career. There is no better way to highlight and grow your leadership skills than to serve on the Board of Directors for PMI Portland Chapter!
- Gain new leadership skills—strategically lead your portfolio to better serve our 1900+ members in this dynamic nonprofit organization
- Expand your network—form the relationships that will propel you to the next level in your career
- Give back to the profession—share your knowledge and engage with the community
- March 22 thru April 20 – Nominations accepted for open Board positions
- May 1 thru May 15 – Membership votes on nominees
- May 18 – Winners announced
- May 18 thru June 30 – Winners shadow current Board members
- July 1, 2021 – New Chapter Board is active
Board positions Open
The following Board positions will be open, and we encourage you to apply:
President Elect serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022 as President Elect
July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2023 as President
July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024 as Past President
Chapter Secretary (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
VP Finance (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
VP Membership (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
VP Programs (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
VP Outreach (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
VP Marketing (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
VP Professional Development (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
VP Operations (aka VP Technology) (serving July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023)
For more detailed information about the open Board positions:
- Check VRMS for postings
- Read about each Portfolio* on the Chapter Leadership webpage.
- Contact the Past President
When considering a Board position there are several questions to keep in mind: Why do you want to volunteer? What type of leader are you and how will you motivate your team? Does your leadership style match the requirements for the role? Do you know the expectations of the position? Can you make the time commitment necessary for the role?
How to Become Nominated
Nominees must be members in good standing of PMI Portland Chapter.
- Learn about the Board and open Board positions (see For More Info, above).
- Email Past President for questions or if you would like to nominate someone else.
- If you are interested in serving please look up the specific board position on PMI’s Volunteer Relationship Management System (VRMS) https://vrms.pmi.org under “Find an Opportunity” then for “Chapters/Global Operations Center” select “Portland Chapter” and search. (more than one page) Select the opportunity you are interested in and apply. You will be asked for more information including a resume.
- Fill out the VRMS Application by April 19, 2021. You must be a current Chapter member and must log in to apply. For any questions contact the Past President (email@example.com)
- The President Elect commits to serving a three-year term in the following roles:
- President Elect July 1, 2021–June 30, 2022
- President July 1, 2022–June 30, 2023
- Past President July 1, 2023–June 30, 2024
- All other positions commit to serve two-year terms, July 1, 2021–June 30, 2023, with the option to extend for a second term in the same elected position.
- Maintain your PMI and Portland Chapter Membership.
- Sign the PMI Code of Conduct.
- Spend ~20 hours a month for Board duties, depending on the position.
- Attend monthly Board meetings and annual Board transition and strategy sessions.
- Regularly attend monthly Chapter Meetings (Board member pricing).
- Learn about and understand the Chapter and your portfolio.
- Strategically develop and lead your portfolio to achieve the mission of the Chapter.
- Lead, support, recruit, and recognize Chapter volunteers and portfolio team members.
- Carry out the fiduciary, due care, and diligence responsibilities of the Board of Directors by reviewing programs, policies, financial statements and other materials.
- Manage your portfolio budget and expenditures.
- Serve on committees, take on special assignments, and participate in other Chapter activities as appropriate.
- Put the interests of the Chapter ahead of any other organization or business when acting as a Board member. Disclose any potential conflicts of interest which could affect decision making.
- Be a positive spokesman and evangelist for your portfolio and the Chapter.
- Gain invaluable leadership experience as a Board member.
- Expand your professional network in the PMI community and the region.
- Demonstrate your leadership expertise to your employer, clients and/or co-workers.
- Give back to your Chapter and to your community.
- Earn required certification PDUs through volunteer hours.
- Receive reduced pricing to Chapter meetings, and the Annual Conference.
- Receive reduced pricing or free attendance to the Chapter’s excellent workshops and seminars (subject to space, Chapter funds, and executive committee review).
- May attend the PMI Region 1 Leadership Conference in the spring each year. The Chapter pays travel, hotel, and meals. This is a great opportunity to network, learn new leadership skills and meet your area Region 1 counterparts through the region in preparation for Board year.
- May attend the annual North America PMI Leadership Conference in the fall each year. The Chapter pays conference registration, travel, hotel, and meals. This is a great opportunity to network, learn new leadership skills, and learn about PMI at a global level.
- Have fun!
Is this opportunity right for you? You won’t know unless you learn more. Talk with our current Chapter leaders – each is happy to chat with you about his/her experience on the Board.
Get involved with your Chapter!
* “Portfolio” describes a team that manages a logical grouping of responsibilities. For example, PMI Portland Membership is the portfolio dealing with member communications, volunteering and quality surveying. The VP of Membership leads this portfolio.
Penelope Luedtke, PMP
Past President PMI Portland Chapter